"Cadets were aspiring soldiers, who were enrolled in the Imperial AcademyCadets were trained to one day become Stormtroopers, for the Galactic Empire. Cadets usually trained over the span of a few weeks, and primarily ranged from children to pre-teens. Top level cadets would wore helmets decorated with different-coloured markings"

I am a big fan of all things Star Wars including the animated shows, The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels, and on seeing this helmet as a kit on the RPF I had to get it. These were worn by the Stormtrooper Cadets in episodes of Rebels, and later on donned by Ezra Bridger as his personal helmet in Seasons 1 and 2.

Helmet

1/1

The helmet for this project was bought as a blank resin kit from Fierfek/ Fiernok Designs, who can be found on the RPF. This is his V1 Cadet helmet, which was originally 3D modelled and printed, finished up and then cast in resin.

1/1

The helmet was great as there was hardly any cleanup required so it was primed and painted a matt white, the same as my Clone Trooper. I then began the masking for the numerous colours for the Ezra Bridger variant. The black was done first using a satin spray can. The rest was done using Humbrol model paints for control and the finish.

1/1

The 'teeth' were done by masking the area carefully then just filling with colour. I used lots of screencaps to get the correct shapes. The dome was by far the trickiest part to get the design for and needed a lot of reference from all sides. I sketched it out and began painting.

1/1

I did a couple of passes of each colour to get the solidness of the colour, and also to try and minimise the brush strokes. I did a light weathering pass to hide my crimes using some washes but mainly dry brushing. The final steps were to attach the 2 pieces and glue the visor. I used a 5 minute 2 part epoxy to attach the face plate and dome. The epoxy stays kind of flexible like hot glue which allows for a bit of movement should it be knocked. The tricky part was lining up the pieces to get it centred, as well as tilted at the correct angle. The visor was simply superglued to the front of the helmet, which covers the cut out eye holes.

  • White Facebook Icon

© 2019 Buckethead Props